20 October 2015

Pindamonhangaba


(Sister C's letter arrived at home) - Ah!! You got the letter! Yeah she told us all that she was going to send all our mothers letters and she had us read them first before she sent them. She's in the Salvador mission. I think it's pretty far north in Brazil. Oh and the picture was while we were waiting to return from the São Paulo temple on p-day some time ago. 

(I asked Elder Lundy about the name of a city he was in and where it got its name from) -
There is a river in Pindamonhangaba so it's probably the second option. Churrasco was referring to pretty much any grilled meat and it was pretty good, not much different from grilled meat in the U.S. though.
Hooray for the new Baker baby!!!  - (Elder Lundy's cousin had a baby this past week)

The food's hitting me fine. I haven't been taking probiotics for a while now

Elder Matos is leaving for Caçapava today cause he's finally getting an official new companion. His old companion had to return to the hospital 2 times and has finally been sent home to heal. Poor guy is 18 and was only 3 months into his mission and he had a heart attack... not cool.

I haven't been talking much about who we've been teaching cause we haven't really been TEACHING much. We visit investigators every night but we usually end up just leaving them with a little message and a challenge. We did have one investigator come to church after he weakly said he'd think about it. We do have one investigator who's going to be baptized soon! His name is M...., he was one of the very first investigators I met. He and his family were the ones who fed me and my companion popcorn for dinner one of the first nights.
I'm in the Taubate 1st ward. (Ala means ward in Portuguese btw)
Oh btw I've officially lost 30 pounds since the start of my mission! (August 19th) I got a jump rope last week and I've set aside 7 to 7:30 each morning for jumping rope and working out.
I don't know if I told you this but I'm doing the ponderize challenge so my scripture this week is

Alma 1:26  And when the priests left their labor to impart the word of God unto the people, the people also left their labors to hear the word of God. And when the priest had imparted unto them the word of God they all returned again diligently unto their labors; and the priest, not esteeming himself above his hearers, for the preacher was no better than the hearer, neither was the teacher any better than the learner; and thus they were all equal, and they did all labor, every man according to his strength.

Oh!! I started reading the Book of Mormon on the 30th of September and I'm already in 3rd Nephi.
Ermehgersh... I forgot to tell you! Our joking pronunciations of Nephi and Abinadi are nearly correct for português! Haha!
Okay so yesterday was an adventure..... We had a leadership meeting in Lorena (my companion is a district leader) While walking from the bus station in Lorena to their church building some drunk guys stopped us to talk. They focused on the foreigner (aka me) and explained how through God we're all connected. Then one gave me a "kiss of respect" on my cheek and the other, an older very shirtless drunk gave me a big hug.... It was very... interesting. And I've been assured that it was the first of many times that will happen. After the meeting we arrived at the bus station at 9pm. We waited for a bus that was supposed to arrive by 10 but by 12:30 it still hadn't arrived. So we took a taxi to half of the way to the Lorena Elders' casa and walked the rest of the way finally getting there and getting to sleep by about 1am. We got up at 7 (oops 30 minutes late) and got a bus to Taubaté at 9. It was definitely an experience......

Well I guess that's all I can think of right now...

I love you lots! 

No comments:

Post a Comment